Please be aware that many of the orphaned parrots that are placed
with us have had a difficult past. Some were possibly neglected or abused.
We have worked with all of our available parrots so we know that most of our eligible parrots are tame and can be handled as companion pets. No prior parrot owner experience is necessary.
Most of our orphaned parrots are ready for placement into a new forever home now. They will need a tender, loving, caring home. We have the following requirements to ensure a good match between our parrots and our veterans:
Please Read our Updated Adoption Policy and requirements before submitting your application.*(01/23/2017)
Our Parrot Adoptions are for US Veterans and their Spouse’s only.
1. Currently, you must live in either Oregon, Idaho or Washington State to adopt from us.
2. You must me a minimum of 30 years to adopt from our program., and you must be ready to adopt within the next 24 hours. If not, please submit your application when you are ready.
3. You must have your DD214.
4. We are able to deliver to most areas within 100 miles of Portland, Oregon. If you live outside this region, and additional transportation fee will be required
5. We will not allow 2nd party adoptions. (No gifting of adopted parrots)
6. Reasonable adoption fees are required for adoptions of all parrots for veterans.
7. We will not be able to place any parrot into a home that currently house’s a Dachshund dog or ant Terrier mix dogs. *(Unless if the dog/dogs are currently in a home with parrots we still must meet the dogs in question)* Approval upon of home visit.
8. We will not place any parrot for breeding purposes.
9. Please do not call or text us about your application. If you haven’t heard back from us after 24 hours of your submission of your application, then please e-mail us at email@example.com – No calls or texting please.
Requirement policy Prior to 01 /23 2017
- We prefer that you be a minimum of 30 years of age, but it is not mandatory.
- You must possess a gentle, calm even temper to own a parrot. You must be patient person. And in return, a parrot will reward you with respect and love. If you can’t be patient, calm and loving, please don’t apply for an orphaned parrot. You must have an even temperament to qualify to adopt a parrot.
- We will start placing our available parrots to those who live within a 50 mile radius of either Portland, Oregon or Vancouver, Washington. If you are not within our region of 50 miles, please do not apply at this time.
- Time of residency requirements: We request that you have a minimum of 3 months current residency, and ask that you don’t have plans to move within 1 year.
- You must be willing to allow us to conduct home visits prior to being introduced to any available parrot for adoption. No exceptions.
- Transportation: We need to confirm that you have reliable transportation in case of any emergency.
- You must have a reliable source of sustainable income.
- We ask that you attend a bird husbandry course so that you will be well versed about parrot husbandry.
- We will not place a bird to a second or third party. No gifting of any parrot is allowed.
- The parrot must like the adopter.
- The adopter must be able to afford their adoption fees.
- We will not place any parrot with anyone who currently owns or plans to own a dachshund, or any terrier mix dog. These breeds have history, and an instinctive trait known to kill birds.
Please take the time to read “10 Things You Need to Know Before Adopting a Bird” by Monica Engebretson. This wonderful article will help you decide if adopting a parrot is right for you.
If you agree that you fit the above mentioned requirements, please submit your adoption application.